Thursday, January 31, 2013

Great Big Giant Cooking Session




http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/not-your-mothers-make-ahead-and-freeze-cookbook-jessica-fisher/1108942909

I'm about to embark on a big cooking session with the hopes of making enough breakfast, dinners, and Sunday desserts to last for one month.  I found this book at the library and was hesitant to check it out but I'm so glad that I did.  This book isn't like other freezer cooking or once-a-month cooking cookbooks, which rely on a lot of creamed soups, dry soup mixes, and other very unhealthy ingredients.  The recipes in this book are more wholesome overall and even look a bit less time-consuming.  Of course there are sweets and cakes and bacon-laden awesomeness but most are very healthy.  I'm planning on making the following over the next two days and doubling or tripling most of the recipes:

Brownie mix (3)
Chocolate Minty Melts (2)
Breakfast Cookies (1) - these are dense nut and seed-filled things
Pork Sausage Patties (5) - Great idea so we can avoid the mystery breakfast sausages!
Breakfast Sliders (3) - Like egg mcmuffins
Red Lentil Dal (3); rice
Tomato Sauce (1) - makes a huge batch
Seasoned Italian Ground Beef - (3 lbs.)
Garlic Italian Chicken Breasts (4)
Chipotle & Onion Chicken Wraps (1) - one batch makes 12 burritos
Chicken Bacon Subs (2) - to appease weekend junk food cravings
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Tangy Asian Slaw (2)
Gingery Pork Lettuce Wraps and sauce (3)
Soy Balsamic Burgers (2)
Catalan Meatballs
Pizza Sauce (3)
Shredded mozzarella (2 lbs.)
Shredded cheddar (2 lbs.)

Each dinner entree will be thawed in the fridge overnight and simply put in the oven the next day.  I'll still end up preparing potatoes, salads, and steamed veggies most nights but the hard part will be completed well ahead of time.  This should save me plenty of time and dirty dishes in the evening.  This isn't my first try at freezer cooking but I'm excited to try out the recipes from this book!

4 comments:

  1. Hi sugar, What a great idea. Yesterday, I fried up all the bacon, sausage and hamburger and put it into the freezer. Now I can use what I need and put the rest back. Very quick and simple. I hope you enjoyed the cooking time. I bet the girls loved helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have this at work. So you would recommend it?

    You can also link from Worldcat.org and that will send people to their local public library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunny, I would recommend it. I like the recipes but the book is even better for teaching good techniques that you can then apply to your own favorites. I like this much better than our other library freezer cooking books. Also, thanks for the worldcat link. I was looking for a way to link to things without using amazon all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bulk cooking takes a long time but the results are so worth it. I would double or triple my recipes that had chicken in them last October. There is still a small amount of frozen meals on reserve and I forget to use them

    ReplyDelete