Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Random List


  • I love, LOVE the ability to put my Etsy shop on vacation.  When orders get too overwhelming (a good problem, I know) or when life kicks me in the butt, I put the shop on vacation.  This is why I don't have my own web site and also why I'm o.k. with paying Etsy fees.  I wouldn't have this ability most anywhere else on the web.  People have the option to receive a notification when my shop re-opens.  I realize it costs me some sales but the shop doesn't need to grow any bigger.  Putting it on vacation once a month helps keep things small and keep me sane.
  • Enough shop talk.  I've caught a cold for the third time in a month.  This makes me sad.  When I don't have a cold, I have allergies.  Good times.
  • I made 8 of those salads-in-a-jar and used quart jars.  It is too much salad.  We will be eating salad all week and that's o.k. but I'm approaching salad burnout.  The salads are delicious and contain:
    • a mix of either romaine, kale, and/or arugula
    • feta or gorgonzola
    • radishes, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes marinating the dressing at the bottom
    • dressing of either red wine or white wine vinaigrette
    • toasted almonds or toasted pecans
    • blueberries 
  • I've nearly reached an important financial milestone for myself, thank you HelloAuntFlow shop.  
  • Every day when the kids get home, I sit on the couch with them and watch Martha Speaks.  I freaking love this show.  And I usually fall asleep.  Abby knows this and will put a stuffed animal under my head while I'm still awake because she knows it will put me to sleep thus buying her some computer time.  Stinker. 
  • We're getting back into our after-dinner family walk routine.  
  • The tomatoes are coming along quite nicely and we even have some blossoms now!
  • The watermelons have all sprouted:  Ali Baba and Golden Midget varieties from Baker Creek.
  • The burgundy okra just sprouted today!  Eagle Pass okra should be sprouting soon.
  • I'm going to build a trellis for the first time - a narrow folding ladder style.  If it goes well, I'll build three more.
  • Kassidy got straight A's on her report card.  I'm so proud of her!  She says this instantly qualifies her for Pre AP/Pre IB classes next year.  We've been discussing the district's IB program and she seems interested.  I'm not sure what the difference is between Gifted & Talented, Pre AP, Pre IB, Honors, or whatever else they call it.  I need to talk to her counselor at school.
  • She also gets to take two music classes next year- choir and band.  Too cool!
  • Abby and Jasmine also got very, very good grades.  Abby earned her classroom's Star Student award for this term!  This was a big deal to her because she finally got perfect attendance for the first time ever in a term.
  • Less than one month until school is out!  We are all super excited!
I feel the need to add this disclaimer.  I'm not hell-bent on my kids getting good grades or awards or perfect attendance.  They have earned these things on their own.  I understand grades are not an accurate measure of intelligence.  But being as they're in public school, these little victories help them feel more motivated and help set them apart from the crowd.  I'm no Tiger Mom.  But if it's making them happy, let's indulge.  I know they are super smart even without the report cards declaring it.


No comments:

Post a Comment