Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sunday Dinners

Every Sunday, I do my best to cook an amazing family dinner, complete with something yummy to drink as well as dessert.  I decided to start doing this a few months ago after realizing that I needed one day each week where a fantastic, not-boring, dinner was guaranteed.  I cook dinner 5 or 6 nights each week but they're nothing to brag about.  My goal is to make Sunday dinner brag-worthy.

The recipes generally are based on something I've been curious to try.  I thought once I would try making homemade fried chicken.  It turned out terrible.  Too browned on the outside and undercooked on the inside.  As undercooked chicken is treated like nuclear waste, it got dumped.  But the side dishes were good.

A favorite is Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice. I cannot say enough good things about this meal.  It's a copycat of some sort of popular Manhattan street food.  Serve it with the suggested basic iceberg salad and pita bread just like you'd get at a little Greek restaurant.  I omit the sugar in the white sauce.  The kids devour this.  Don't be fooled by claims that this is an easy weeknight dish:  it's not.  It takes some time but it is well worth it and the leftovers are even better for lunch the next day.  I'll probably make this again real soon.

I want to learn how to make a pot roast like Sophia's with the potatoes and carrots.  I also need to relearn how to roast a chicken without getting squeamish. 

Dessert is usually brownies, a small cake, or if I'm pressed for time, flourless peanut butter cookies that I make in the food processor.  Now that strawberries are in season, I'll have to make some shortcake soon.

When my children have all grown and moved on, my hope is that Sunday dinner nostalgia will bring them back home often to eat and visit. 

Do you have any weekly or monthly meal traditions?  Please share!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea. Sunday Dinner is usually the best meal of the week. I think many families do that. As they grow and bring home friends or heaven forbid, boyfriends, you'll need to take down the wall between the LR and KIT and put in a long table with benches.
    I really love to read what you have on your blog. Keep up the good work sweetheart. Momma loves you.

    ReplyDelete